Sunday, July 25, 2010

signs of old age

in high school my friend lindsey and I went to concerts on a regular basis. hours of standing, loud music blaring into our ears, waiting in line afterwards to get our CDs signed.
then there was that one fateful day when we excitedly waited in line to see a Jackopierce concert. Who is Jackopierce you might ask...and rightfully so. according to wikipedia they are an "american alternative rock band formed by Jack O'Neill and Cary Pierce in Dallas, Texas in 1988. Their style is focused around vocal harmonies and acoustic guitars" yes formed in 1988, the year I turned 4. They broke up in 1997, and released the equivalent of a greatest hits CD in 1998 celebrating nearly a decade of music. in other words....an old-people-music-snob band that I LOVED. (well LOVE since the opening notes of any of their songs still brings a smile to my face)

we entered the beaumont club, a cowboy-dance club which would double as a standing room only concert venue for all my favorite alternative rock bands (check my CD collection....they've nearly all played at beaumont) and were stunned to see chairs. rows of chairs filling the space where we normally stood on sore feet. chairs...humm.....apparently this is what old people concerts are like......I could definitely get used to this.
since then I've strived to find seats at concert venues...I dont need to be front row...my feet like to sit, or perch on stools overlooking the concert floor. we took this up one notch however when we went to see Swell Season. Lawn seats at Ravinia...aka picnic blanket, picnic feast, and laying down listening to music. (note to self...pillows next time) Done and Done. I'm sold concerts should be attended in reclined position.
2 days later we went to see Tonic, another old person band, people here however had not gotten the memo about chairs. my feet hurt. I was bored. I wanted my picnic blanket. I even thought 'perhaps I'm too old for this'. the next night we were back. free sister hazel concert. I was ready for hurt feet and tired legs. then they started playing. and I was happy and dancing. Perhaps I'm not that old yet after all.

No comments: