Wednesday, November 24, 2010

a moratorium on the "christmas ban"....all in the name of CARDS.

I have a serious ban on all things Christmas until after Thanksgiving has passed.

My students ask if we can listen to Christmas music. My response: “absolutely not, give Thanksgiving a chance.”

I walk through the aisles and aisles of Christmas merchandise and leave the store saddened and disappointed with their single shelf of Thanksgiving adornments. You want to sell Christmas early FINE, but give Thanksgiving a chance.

I sit here on the eve of Thanksgiving, excited for the day and the feast that is waiting tomorrow, but perhaps even more excited for the day that that is waiting the day AFTER tomorrow. The day my Christmas gets to burst forth, Christmas music, Christmas socks, Christmas cookies, Christmas decorations, and one of this year’s most exciting features, Christmas cards.

Why do Christmas cards bring me more excited than normal this year? Because this year Shutterfly is offering Christmas cheer to bloggers in the form of cards.

Normally I spend hours if not days hunched over a craft table creating cards….which is why my handmade Christmas cards normally turn into hand made thank you notes and my Christmas cheer is spread in the form of generic store bought cards with personalized notes on the inside. (remember college when your Christmas shopping didn’t get started till after final exams….think its bad to take four of five of those tests….try grading 150 of them and welcome to my life)

This year Shutterfly’s delightful selection provides me with a delightful alternative. Photo cards where I get to show off in yet another form all the many photos I’ve taken capturing our year on film. Perfect for people like me who take picture after picture after picture and can’t make decisions for the life of me there are options like this or this (the hard part…deciding between them! solution....use more photos! make a calendar! another much better than store bought product)

And so I count down the hours….till my ban on Christmas passes…and my photo creating commences. Till then I have 2 pies, a turkey, and a half dozen sides that need my attention.

No comments: