Tuesday, September 30, 2008

teaching with no voice

i woke to an early morning dilemma... to whisper physics nonsense to my students all day or to entrust them to another for the day...knowing full well that it will result in a wasted day. (which is just trouble when it comes to block scheduling) this is the decision that must be made when a teacher wakes with no voice. knowing that it is far more work to write sub plans then to actually just go to school I decided to tough it out.

before school: intimate homework help...since all I can do is whisper. I tell one of my freshmen that my boyfriend said I was going to be the mute teacher at open house and she volunteered to come with me and translate everything I said to the parents and perspective students that would be there.

2nd hour freshman physics: my students actually listened to me during our lab discussion and helped EACHOTHER understand so I didnt have to explain the exact same thing 23 times.

4th hour senior physics: my seniors volunteered to not learn anything today or at the very least just copy down notes and have them explained to them the next class. I assured them if they were quiet we could tough it out and we actually had a productive day. (despite their giggles whenever I tried to talk)

between classes whenever I had a break: trips to the bathroom thanks to nick's wellness regime...drink constantly and flush the germs out of your system

all in all one of the best days we've had this year....maybe I should try more days of not talking.

No comments: