Wednesday, March 10, 2010

to buy or not to buy, that is the question

aka contemplations of the self-gifter
after a few month of way to high credit card bills and a not so rapidly growing savings account I decided to swear off self present buying for a while. and so far so good...half way into my next credit card cycle, less than a third of my normal purchasing made.

I have been good. after 15 min of contemplating purchases I walked out of the REI store empty handed. I put items in my shopping card at on-line places...but never go to get my credit card. I've window shopped longingly...but remembered the lessons of the girl in the green scarf. I've been strong.

I feel as though this may be changing. I've been thinking a lot about buying an ipod touch...Im one who likes to travel light, but is addicted to staying in touch in my electronic world, and so lug my computer with me on all my adventures. (thank goodness for regular camping trips when I go off-grid and experience a healthy dose of electronics-free time)

the thought of internet that can fit in my pocket is quite appealing. more and more places are offering free wi-fi (Mc. Donalds! really...like you need to surf the net while eating your chicken nuggets and sipping a shamrock shake??) which means traveling light AND feeding my addiction (the technology one...not the shamrock shake one...more on that later)...the desire for which is strong...and I am weak.

I'd buy the baby 8 GB...no need to replace my fabulously large ipod classic still in tip top condition. and really as my oh so astute roommate says I'd actually be "saving money because then you will no longer be tempted to buy an iphone which has monthly phonebills".

but yet the question remains....do I need another present?

perhaps I do...

No comments: