Saturday, March 5, 2011

when is a vault not a vault?

I am 26.

I have no kids.

I have no plans for kids in the relatively near future.

I have the diamond edition dvd/blu-ray combo pack Bambi.

we all are susceptible to marketing.

Nick sees the big dipper and Pizza Hut immediately goes on the dinner menu.

for me apparently it's the Disney Vault.

the thoughts went something like this:
  • oh look bambi is coming out on dvd. I have bambi on VHS whatevs.
  • for the first time on blu- ray, well that makes sense, blu-rays havent been out for very long
  • but wait it's only out for a limited time, and then it could be gone for like 10 years once disney locks it away in the vault again.
  • BUT in 10 years i'll be 36! maybe I'll have kids by the time I'm 36. I'll want them to see Bambi. my VHS tape and VCR probably wont be working in 10 years.
  • I HAVE TO BUY BAMBI NOW OR MY FUTURE CURRENTLY NON-EXISTANT KIDS WONT GET TO EVER SEE BAMBI

so when is a vault not a vault? when it's the emotionally disturbing Disney vault where they lock up the movies of our childhoods.


No comments: