Wednesday, November 9, 2011

this ain't rock and roll

it's been a long time since I've updated my "stuck in my head" list.  but my newest find demands that I do.

on Saturday we trekked to my FAVORITE concert venue to see Dave Barnes (one of my favorites) in concert and was pleasantly surprised with what awaited me in the opening act.

my new music love playing at my favorite music venue, and check out that shadow (clearly I've been grading too many physics projects lately)

When Steve Moakler took the stage the laughter and delight started.  As he continued to play the joy continued.  By the time he reached "this ain't rock and roll" I was hooked and already plotting my way through the crowd to the merch table for CD acquirement.  When Dave later said Steve would be back in December I was clearing my calendar.

Do yourself a favor. (or three)
1. read his lyrics below.  you'll laugh out loud
2. check out his website and stream (then buy) some music for yourself.  you'll soon be singing along
3. clear your calendar for the next time he's near you.  you'll be glad you did

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Ain't Rock and Roll by Steve Moakler

I drive a compact SUV with a straight four engine inside.
I think the Union won the war, but I respect your pride.
I don’t chew tobacco, but man I’ll drink your beer.
I was born up above the Dixie-line, and I ended up down here.

I’m not country but I like it country.
I know where I’m from.
But when I hear your songs on the radio, I start having fun.
 I’m so down with deep-fried chicken. Jesus save my soul.
Yeah, I’m a northern city boy, but this ain’t rock and roll.

I don’t like watching NASCAR, but God bless the number three.
I cheer on the Pittsburgh Steelers, I don’t watch the SEC.
I don’t shoot guns or ride horses, but I’ll give ‘em both a try.
If Johnny Cash ever heard this song, I’ll bet he’d start to cry.
I like pretty southern belles, and I like to take things slow.
But my cousins are NYPDs and I can drive in the snow.
 I grew up playing in the dirt, up where it ain’t red.
And I’ve got one pair of cowboy boots but they ain’t gone to my head.

I’m not country but I like it country.
I’m not saying that I’m the real deal,
but when your songs come on the radio I like the way I feel.
I’m so down with deepfried chicken. Jesus save my soul.
Yeah, I’m a northern city boy, but this ain’t rock and roll.

No comments: