Monday, April 13, 2009

music and memories

some of my favorite songs have become my favorite songs because of the memories that are attached to them and listening to my ipod is a walk down memory lane. where I was when I heard the song first...who I saw the band in concert with...conversations about the song shortly after it was played.

Appalachian music will always take me back to the week I spent building a trail in the mountains, Jimmy Buffett will always take me back to the boathouse (as will just about any song off the drunkin sailor or freshman ice breaker CD), matt wertz, dave barnes, guster, blue october, luce all send me back to concerts attended with linds, but sometimes there are more specific songs and memories that have become linked. for example:

whenever big stong man by carbon leaf (though its not really their song) gets played I go back to lindsey's 21st, where I was dragged on stage to lead motions through another song. the guy asked for someone who had never been there before...and since lindsey's mom had snuck her in underage, I was the lucky birthday party representative.


or eve 6 the open road song...straight back to spring break sophomore year, driving on the open road all the way to florida. and of course it gets turned up. ALL the way up.


or better than ezra's sincerely me...kerry and i practicing to make sure I knew the words to sing along when we saw them in concert on campus junior year. we played it over and over again practicing the words.

No comments: