Wednesday, January 14, 2009

how to survive the winter

my girls are notoriously bad at dressing for the weather. for example they come into my room in a skirt and a short sleeve polo and think it is then ok for them to complain that my room is cold. when I saw that it was supposed to be -7 with a windchill of -25 at 7 am tomorrow and the temps were supposed to max out at -1 I knew it was time for my second role as a teacher, the role of preparing my students for life outside the classroom, to take hold and we had a how to dress for the cold lesson complete with visuals.

allow me to share.
step 1. before putting on coat add as many layers as possible. large hooded sweatshirts are perfect for this process because they allow for many layers underneath. trust no area to a single layer.


step 2. add the outer layers. opt for the warmest coat possible. the longest scarf possible to allow for multiple wrappings, and remember at least 2 layers everywhere.
step 3. pretend you are one of the following characters:
a. a zombie
b. the stay puff marshmallow man.

No comments: